Many people want to share some love and kindness with an animal. Being a FOSTER parent can not only help the animal, but can add to your life as well. Some animals just need TLC and a place that is quieter than at the shelter, but in some serious cases we need very experienced foster families who have been in our program for a long time. At Quinte Humane Society we provide care to all animals, but there are times when one-on-one is more beneficial. Fostering is also important because it helps the Shelter by creating space and allowing us to serve even more animals in need.
What are the requirements to become a FOSTER caregiver?
- You must be 18 years of age.
- All of your owned pets must be spayed or neutered and up to date with all vaccinations (proof required)
- An extra room to keep the foster animals separate from your own.
- Transportation is needed for pick up and drop off at the shelter.
- Lots of time, love and patience.
Completed foster applications can be e-maile to firstname.lastname@example.org. New fosters will be contacted on an as needed basis.
All supplies are supplied by QHS including food, litter, toys etc. Any items you choose to purchase must be pre-approved by the Shelter Management in advance. Receipts must be submitted for approved reimbursements.
How long will they be with you?
This is different depending on the circumstances. It is usually 2 to 6 weeks.
Which animals will need your help?
- Mother cats & dogs with nursing babies
- Kitten and pups too young for adoption
- Animals recovering from surgery
- Animals recovering from injuries and often times on medication
- Animals that could benefit from socialization
Contact the shelter for further details if interested.